Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Playing Catch-up: Quilt-along Project Review

Hi everyone looks like I let time get away from me again. I meant to have my update on my block-along blocks as I went along but I had other things, called life, change my direction. So here is my follow up post for Bloggers’ Block-a-palooza and the Cherry House Quilt-along.

First off I have to say I had a ball with these block a longs. It was so much fun waiting in anticipation for the next block/instructions to come out so that I could work on it. It was also fun to see everyone else’s interpretation through their choice of fabric and the little changes to design. It is always good getting feed back from others about how they saw my blocks or their reactions to how I saw their’s. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I want to thank John from Quilt Dad for hosting and arranging the Bloggers’ Block-a-palooza and for all of the quilt artist who took the time to create the block designs used for this quilt along. I was able to learn a few things, perfect a few techniques and get to know a few others within the quilt world. So I am very grateful for this experience.



I also want to thank Cherri from Cherry House Quilts for hosting her quilt-along. The design was very interesting even if it appeared to be very simple. I understand that creating a quilt like that is not easy but her instructions were straight forward and easy to follow. So I am also very grateful for this quilt along experience.



Neither of my quilts are finished at this point, because of budgeting reasons, but I will surly post them up as soon as they are so stay tuned.

I have recently begun a new quilt-along with Ryan and Charley at Patchwork2 called Modern Solids Quilt Along. At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to participate because I knew I didn’t have that many solids in my stash. As I’ve written in past posts I haven’t been quilting for a while so my stash is filled with fabric from the past and at that time I did not use a lot of solids. I am trying to use to use these quilt a longs not only to help me hone certain techniques but to help me dwindle down my stash before I allow myself to by any new fabric unless it is absolutely needed for a specific project.



I have to admit I am finding this modern quilt movement very interesting. I was not sure how I felt about it at first because I have never been a fan of solid fabrics, however I am finding that solid fabrics have improved since the last time I bought some, so we shall see what my quilt outcome will be. As I said above I am trying to work only with my current stash of fabric and luckily I was able to find a group of solid fabrics in my stash that work very well together in my eyes so we shall see how they work out in the end.



Now head over to the Patchwork2 Modern Solids Quilt Along Flicker group to see what everyone else is doing. See you there.


So until the next block, happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment