Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Modern Solids Quilt Along: Block #1 & The Inspiration

Hi Everyone, well here it is the first block for the Modern Solids Quilt Along. At first I wasn’t sure how this was going to work out because I don’t normally work in all solids, in fact this will be my first all solid quilt top so this could be interesting. I love the color combo I was able to create and the construction of the first block works so well with it.

Now a little about my inspiration for this block. As I wrote in an earlier post I learned quilting initially when I went to an adult Girl Scout camp program for quilting. The second year I went there was a mix up and I was not able to going to the in town meeting so even thought I knew which book we were taking the quilt pattern from I had no idea which quilt was picked for the weekends project so I just picked one only to find out that it was the wrong one. The quilt book we used was Quilting Season by Debbie Caffrey but I can’t remember which quilt the group picked but the layout I picked is called Cinco de Mayo. Needless to say I never finished that particular quilt but I did later make a wall hanging from the same design for my daughter’s bedroom you can see below. She picked out the fabric herself. She liked the brilliant colors and I fussy cut the fish fabric to make it look more like a fancy fish bowl.



You can see the components I used for my block.


Well that was it, that’s is where I got the idea for my block. As I don’t have permission to publish any part of the book I made the decision to not post my step-by-step photos or any part of the book. If you are interested in checking out the book or any of Debbie Caffrey‘s other work please check out the her website.

My block is currently posted to the Flicker group for the Modern Solids QAL. So go check it out along with all the other fabulous blocks posted by the group members.

So until the next block, happy sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment