Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Lost My Way But Found the Path Back

Hi everyone. I know it has been a while since I posted the first two post introducing Marisa's Quilt Garden. Please let me explain what is going on. When I decide to start the MQG blog I had no Idea that there where other issues that were going to be addressed within myself before I was able to continue. I want to apologize to everyone before I begin talking about them because they are personal issues that I needed to overcome before I could move on.

Let me go back a bit to when I began quilting. If you read my first post you will no that I began quilting in 2002 when I attended a Girl Scout Quilt Weekend (Adults). I had always wanted to learn how to quilt but at that time even my sewing skills were lacking. Needless to say I had my moms old sewing machine and a desire to learn.

Well after that weekend I jumped into quilting wholeheartedly and never looked back. I came home and bought fabric, books and all the accoutrement for quilting from JoAnns and Hancock Fabrics and began. I know why am I recapping what I have basically already said in my other posts, but I digress what I am trying to say is as much as I loved quilting and still do I got sidetracked by life. Moving, my mom getting breast cancer and eventually passing away, moving again, health issues with my daughter, etc.

Mom's old Janome


As I set up my new blog with enthusiasm I saw myself finishing projects started long ago, making new projects (and finishing them) and learning new things. Back in 2007 my moms old machine abruptly stopped sewing and I was forced to buy a new machine. At the time I had no idea how that event would affect me. I went out looking at machines and I remembered that one of the ladies from my second quilt weekend had a Husqvarna Viking machine that I fell absolutely in love with. She had owned her machine for years and it was one of the higher end ones. I on the other hand was looking for a beginner machine of that brand that I could use for quilting.

Well I found my machine a Huskqvarna E10 and took it home but something was wrong. I pulled out the instructions and read them. I signed up for the free class they offered but never made it there. I thought I just needed to learn how my new machine worked and everything would be ok, but alas it was not. I had stopped sewing and quilting. Although I told myself it was just because I was so busy but that wasn't true and I never figured out what my problem was until last week.


What happened last week you might ask. Well it was something very simple I asked myself why was I letting this perfectly good machine go to waste by not using it. What was it that was keeping me from it. Then I had a revelation. After suffering the loss of my mom I suffered the loss of the last physical connection I had to her, her sewing machine. Yes I know that the machine is a physical object and not my mom and the funny part is my mom baring used the machine after she bought it. My mom did not like sewing because she grew up having to sew her own clothes when she was young and she really had no interest in sewing at all, but my mom was proud of my gift for sewing that I picked up from both of my grandmothers. So here we are today. I have made a break though and I am now using the sewing machine and happily back to making quilts and other things.

I am posting below a few things I am working on right now.

Friendship Quilt from Girl Scout Quilt Weekend V & VI


Mini Simple Quilt


Double Wedding Ring Quilt Project



Thanks for being patient with me and I am striving to make Marisa's Quilt Garden a booming blog.

Happy sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment